Transplanting tips

ZandraJoi

Per the thread I posted for New Gardener Mistakes, I mentioned thinning is one I have a hard time with & sometimes transplanting doesn't work.
What are some of your tips & tricks on transplanting? Some plants just do not like to be removed but I have found when I get extra soil around the plant & the plant itself is not disturbed, it tends to grow better. Albeit a bit stunted sometimes.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Transplanting is not a easy job so never think to transplant again and again. I seen in most groups Gardeners complained that their plants had died when transplanted that got from nurseries.

I have successfully transplanted some plants by inserting the plant with soil that came along with polythene cover. Tear the cover at the bottom part only and place it in another pot or in soil. once it grows into bigger size try to remove that cover by cutting into small pieces.

I have suggested this type so the roots cannot get disturbed, hope this helps for you. image_2023-01-18_144456319.png

I had lost most of the plants which are brought from nurseries and always thinking these people use some magic to grow. My friends too complained because nursery plants didnt survived when they transplanted in their homes.
I tried borrowing plants from friends too and this also didnt come in line. I need to learn transplanting in the future.

ZandraJoi

Transplanting is not a easy job so never think to transplant again and again. I seen in most groups Gardeners complained that their plants had died when transplanted that got from nurseries.

I have successfully transplanted some plants by inserting the plant with soil that came along with polythene cover. Tear the cover at the bottom part only and place it in another pot or in soil. once it grows into bigger size try to remove that cover by cutting into small pieces.
Thank you for that tip! We've had some tall plants that just didn't make it. I'll try what you suggested & let my family know as well as they struggle too lol

I had lost most of the plants which are brought from nurseries and always thinking these people use some magic to grow. My friends too complained because nursery plants didnt survived when they transplanted in their homes.
I tried borrowing plants from friends too and this also didnt come in line. I need to learn transplanting in the future.
Glad I'm not the only one :)
Hopefully others will pipe in with some good tips for all of us.

Transplanting a plant can be stressful, so it's important to handle the plant gently and provide it with proper care to help it adjust to its new location. With the right care, most plants will thrive in their new homes.

Transplanting a plant is the process of moving a plant from one location to another, usually to a larger pot or to a permanent location in the garden. Here are the steps to transplant a plant successfully:

1. Choose the right time: The best time to transplant a plant is during its dormant period or when it is not actively growing. This is usually in the spring or fall.
  2. Prepare the new pot: Choose a pot that is larger than the current pot and has good drainage. Fill the bottom of the pot with a layer of potting soil.
  3. Remove the plant from the old pot: Gently remove the plant from the old pot and loosen any tangled roots. Trim away any damaged or diseased roots.
  4. Place the plant in the new pot: Place the plant in the new pot and fill in around it with potting soil. Water the soil thoroughly and make sure the soil is well-packed around the plant's roots.
  5. Water and care for the plant: Water the plant regularly to help it adjust to its new location. Be sure to keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged.
  6. Monitor growth: Watch for any signs of stress in the plant, such as yellowing leaves or stunted growth. Provide the plant with proper care and nutrients as needed to promote healthy growth.